Chop, slice and eat your way through Vietnam, experiencing one of the freshest and most fragrant cuisines on the planet. From pho and ancient buildings in Hanoi, banh khoai and imperial citadels in Hue, banh xeo and lantern-lit streets in Hoi An and banh canh and pulsating markets in Ho Chi Minh City, experience Vietnam’s cuisine and its tightly woven place within its culture. Drink in cafes and beer halls that sprawl out over city streets, buy fruit from wicker baskets draped over a vendor’s shoulders and sit at market stalls as aromatic noodle soups are whipped up in front of you. Experience all of Vietnam’s iconic sights, spend time cooking some of the country’s top dishes and get a true taste of Vietnam on this delectable Real Food Adventure.
- Get the lowdown on north, central and southern Vietnamese cooking at the country's best cooking schools
- A street food tour of Hanoi takes you to the best spots in town to sample northern specialties like pho, bun cha and the golden-yellow xoi xeo (sticky rice with mung bean and fried onion)
- Get around the romantic riverside town of Hue in true local style – on the back of a motorcycle
- With two nights in Hoi An, there's plenty of time to take in magic of this standout destination. Take a cooking class, cycle through herb gardens and be dazzled by the Ancient Town
- The Vietnamese people are some of the most welcoming in the world. A homestay on the Mekong Delta allows you to experience their hospitality, learn their kitchen secrets and get an insight into rural life
- No trip to Vietnam is complete without some history lessons. Visit the Imperial Citadel in Hue and the War Remnants Museum in Ho Chi Minh City
What to expect:
- This trip aims to give you an exciting, diverse and well-rounded experience of a country’s cuisine. While we endeavour to cater for specific dietary requirements, some meals and food activities are set in advance and may be difficult to adjust. Please be aware that in many countries dietary restrictions are not common or well understood. If you have dietary requirements, simply contact your agent at the time of booking for further information on how this may impact on your ability to take part in included activities and meals. Come with an open mind and open mouth, and you won’t be disappointed.
- This trip involves some long stints of travel, including a 12-hour overnight train to Hue. Although conditions are basic, overnight trains are a true Intrepid experience and the best way to travel long distances, meet locals and maximise time at your destinations. Occasionally passengers of different genders will be required to share a compartment and/or you'll be sharing with locals or travellers from other groups.
- In Hue, one day is spent touring the sights on the back of a motorbike. The bikes are great fun and are driven safely by professionals, but alternative transportation can be arranged upon request for those who don’t wish to ride on a motorbike.
- The weather in Vietnam can be hot and sticky, particularly during the monsoon seasons, so ensure that you pack accordingly. Please also wear sunscreen and a hat, especially when out on a boat in Halong Bay and in the Mekong Delta. It is also recommended to bring warm clothes for Halong Bay, as it can get quite cool on the water in the evenings.
- Facilities at the Mekong Delta homestay are quite basic. But an authentic, heart-warming experience of local Mekong life should more than make up for the lack of creature comforts.
- Confidence on a bicycle is great, but not absolutely essential. If you would rather not participate in the cycling tour of Hoi An's Tra Que Village, you can explore the local market on foot instead.
- Hanoi - Cooking Class, Northern Vietnamese
- Hanoi - Teahouse visit
- Hanoi - Chau Long Market, Food & Coffee Tasting
- Halong Bay - Overnight boat cruise with seafood lunch and dinner
- Hue - Highlights & back streets by motorbike (lunch included)
- Hue - Perfume River cruise
- Hue - Royal tomb of Emperor Tu Duc
- Hue - Thien Mu Pagoda
- Hue - Imperial Citadel
- Hoi An - Old Town walking tour
- Hoi An - Herb Garden Bicycle Tour & Cooking Class, Central Vietnamese
- Hoi An - Cooking Class, Central Vietnamese
- Ho Chi Minh City - War Remnants Museum
- HCMC - City tour
- HCMC - Ben Thanh market
- Ho Chi Minh City - Cooking Class with Local Chef
- Mekong Delta - Homestay & Home Cooked Meal
11 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 5 dinners
Plane, Private vehicle, Taxi, Overnight sleeper train
Hotel (8 nights), Homestay (1 night), Overnight Boat (1 night), Overnight Sleeper Train (1 night)